The unpleasant, warm sensation of heartburn creeping through your chest is all too common for many adults. This strange feeling is caused when too much acid gets backed up in the stomach, but it’s also very easy to prevent. Here are a few all natural heartburn prevention tactics that don’t involve medication. Consult your doctor to see if they might work for you.
- Watch the scale. Studies prove that packing a few extra pounds can cause hormonal changes that lead to heartburn. By losing that excess weight and getting back to the size that’s right for your body, you can prevent your frequent bouts of heartburn.
- Avoid foods that trigger heartburn. Foods that are high in acids or caffeine are the most common heartburn triggers. These include things like citrus fruits, peppermint, excessive amounts of alcohol, and caffeinated beverages.
- Eat smaller meals. Instead of eating three large meals per day, try switching to smaller meals more frequently. Many studies show that eating too much in one sitting can cause heartburn.
- Quit smoking. Many people don’t realize that inhaling smoke from a cigarette can lead to heartburn discomfort. This is just another reason to put that pack away and cut cigarettes out for good.
- Relax. If all else fails, try a few minutes of meditation or deep breathing to alleviate stress and stop heartburn.